I almost missed the entire event, because for the first night in weeks, I forgot to bring a phone (with a ringer on) into our room, and didn't hear the 12 calls that my family made that night trying to get me up to the house.... I am totally thankful that Tasha had also invited two friends from Albuquerque to attend the birth, and my mom got a hold of them and sent them over to my house to get me up and bring me up to my parents' house. Yay Amanda and Krisha!!!! Anyway, at 5:30 AM they showed up, scared the living crap out of me ringing our doorbell, and we all hauled ass up to Placitas, with me crying the whole time believing that I would surely miss the birth....
We arrived at 6 AM, just as the sun was starting to rise. Tasha was in the birthing pool with Eli supporting her, the midwives, my parents and an old family friend were all there. The room was lit by one small desk lamp, candles and a fire in the fireplace. The air was thick with the moisture and heat, and the intensity of the situation at hand. Tasha was thoroughly focused on her task and Eli was on his knees behind her, holding her up and whispering in her ear. Over the next half hour, we all murmered words of praise and encouragement, while somewhat holding our collective breath for the baby to emerge at any moment. Despite the labor progressing very quickly, especially for a first baby, Tasha was relatively slow at getting his head out, which is very good because it minimized damage to her. After pushing for just over an hour, Tasha gave a final push and Zabri was born into the water, right as the sunrise was coming through the skylight, casting a soft glow in the room. The midwife helped her catch him, and she brought him up to her chest while exclaiming, "It's a Boy!"

He was beautiful as soon as he emerged. His color was good and he started crying just a minute or two after he came out, and because he was a week overdue, he was not covered in the white goo called Vernix. There were no complications during or after the labor, and we are all thankful that Tasha got to have the labor experience at home that she always wanted, and that he is perfect and healthy.
After Eli cut the cord, the midwives helped Tasha out of the pool and into her bed. Zabri immediately started nursing and opening his eyes real wide, attempting to take in his new surroundings.
When not nursing, he was most content just snuggling with Mama's breast. That kid's got some serious "sucker lips" and will "nurse" on almost anything you put to his lips!
After all the activity calmed down, my dad made a round of french toast and coffee for everyone, and the new family got some much needed time to rest. Eli and the baby were exhausted, and Tasha was too, but was unable to sleep because of the post-labor chemicals running through her system. She took a break to the living room, and daddy and baby got their first nap together.We are all very proud of Tasha for doing an amazing job bringing their son into the world! We are all thrilled to welcome Zabri as the first baby of a new generation to our family, and as the first boy in the Poling Casa. I would have been absolutely devastated if I wouldn't have made it to the birth, but thankfully, it all worked out and I was there. I wish Mira and Erin could've been there, but once again, the lesson that we have no control when it comes to pregnancy or children has been reinforced.
In a few short months I will hopefully have a similar experience to Tasha. Erik and I will be home, with family and midwives assisting us, to bring our own son into this world. The two boys will be cousins, maybe best friends, and most likely rambunctious hellions, but we are all excited and eager to embrace and experience the stories and love that lie ahead.
9 comments:
Totally got goosebumps all over again just reading that! It has been really fun hearing the story from every perspective, each person who was there remembers different details of the event and the morning. (Dad was having a hyper allergic reaction that evening and nearly heading to the ER himself, Tasha says "it was intense," nothing you can ever prepare for, and that you get "no breaks" whatsoever. Mom thought everyone was going to miss it completely.) While I am sad to have missed it, those feeling are comletely trumped by my joy at how perfect it went and how happy Tasha and Eli are. Zabri is a smart baby to wait until we elected a new leader and ensured a brighter future for him before he would emerge. I can't wait to meet him at Christmas!
Yay Tashiqua (and everybody else who helped, especially Cam and her blubbering)!
oh my god he is CUTE!
more pictures please!
He IS cute, isn't he? You're right about those "sucker lips" too! This baby will not be going hungry, that's for sure.
I wish I had more pictures to post!
I just went up to visit again yesterday, and there were 3 cameras floating around, so I didn't bother to get mine out as well. The folks and Tasha have been taking a lot at the house, so I'll have to steal their cameras again, so I can post more.
Congratulations on that ADORABLE BABY! Cam, I hope that kind of easy labor runs in the family!
Holy crap, wouldn't that be GREAT!! Wish me luck....
It's hard to believe, but he's cuter by the minute! Big eyes, squeeks and grunts, relfexive smiles and a curious tongue...the lips are less swollen and his hair has turned golden brown, he is delicious!! We are soo in love and blessed to have this treasure to hold. Despite the delirium that accompanies such an experience, he's worth every sleepless wink and rewards us with hours of entertainment.. I've never enjoyed cleaning poop until now although that could pass. Yay he's perfect! We'll post pics soon as I can hobble to the puter long enough to send 'em out or get them to Cam. Love from our new family and cheers to our new piglet! :>
Yay tasha.. and poling/Schotte family... cant wait to meet the little guy.. i love me some babies!! But yes more pictures for us folkies dying to see the new member of the clan.. love love and blessings
Post a Comment