Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A monkey off my back

PART I: Business

As some of you know, this year has been dedicated in large part to me working on my business's marketing materials. The largest, most annoyingly complex part of that being my long overdue website....

Starting in June, I met with a photographer and for 2 days straight we embarked on a shooting extravaganza of 7 houses I had worked on. Between that and my own collection of photos from the last 8 years, I had about 2000 pictures of projects, all of which had to be sorted, edited and filtered down to 136 spots. Then I had the terribly daunting task of creating text for the site, to tell the reader about me and my services. OK, that may sound like not that big of a deal, but let me tell you, it brought back painful school memories of "What did you do this summer" essay assignments. It probably took me 15 drafts before I came up with an "About Me" section that didn't sound like I was 12 years old and telling you about our family vacation.... Thankfully, I eventually came up with something semi-presentable and was able to solicit the editing help of my very capable and competent friend, Dorota Skrzypek , who is a professional writer and publisher. After many, many drafts back and forth, for every copy element of the site, we came up with some goodness that I felt was worthy of posting. She was incredibly dedicated to my cause and was extremely generous with her time, hence my grateful shout-out!

In the meantime, I was working with a graphic designer on the site and on the elements that would eventually be used for my whole marketing campaign. Without me going off on a rant, let's just say that it wasn't the best working situation I've encountered, and there were quite a few nights where I bitched up a storm to Erik and Shembi regarding my frustrations.... but here we are, who knows how long later, and I have a working website I can live with.

So after months and months of work, a number of meetings, slews of emails and lots of phone calls, I finally have a working website that is pretty much done!!!! There a few glitches still, but really, they're minor, and will get fixed soon, BUT I have a working website!!! I can't tell you what a huge relief it is to get this monkey off my back. I finally feel like I can move my business forward into the 21st century, start promoting myself again, and no longer have to scramble in embarrassment when a potential client calls and wants to see my website and portfolio. I can actually say, "Well, here it is!" How cool is that?!

Please check it out and feel free to send me your feedback. Also, don't hesitate to bookmark it and forward the site along to anyone you know who would enjoy checking out my portfolio! Thanks!!


PART II: Baby

Monday I reached 26 weeks out of 40. I have definitely been popping out lately, and the baby's movements are getting bigger and stronger. Tomorrow I have my monthly prenatal appointment, and I'll find out how much weight I've actually gained and how large my new appendage has gotten.

Erik calls this the Virgin of Guadalupe shot.
It should be noted that this brilliant title struck him after his 3rd glass of wine.

Lounging with my little beach ball

Erik lounging with his pathetic excuse for a beer belly.
Notice Max the kitty makes up for it a bit with his man-boobs cleavage

2 comments:

harikirtan said...

You guys are too adorable... well Erik is a little more adorable in his beer belly.. sorry Cam.. Much love.. HK

OnlyMira said...

Ha ha, nice photos! And great work on the site Cam! It looks fabulous!