Monday, December 22, 2008

It's crunch time!

It's crunch time and your final few days left to scramble for that fabulous consumerist holiday known as Christmas!! Hope you are doing well and ready for the day of presents and family!

This past weekend was quite busy. Friday night, Mira arrived for her holiday vacay and the full schedule of planned get togethers and activities. We started off her trip with a "girls night out" where a slew of us ladies went to dinner, then most everyone went off to a gathering at a friend's house. During this time, the boys all got together for food and partying and bowling. A good night was had by all.

Da Girls

Mira and I

My sisters both spent the night, along with Eli and Zabri, and we all got to hang out for the day and prep for our annual holiday party. Zabri was adorable and the party went really well and long, long into the night.

Cutie patootie
Sunset from our back patio

Hanukkah started last night and we had a lovely family dinner of traditional brisket and not so traditional potato latkes. After the year that Erik spent 2 hours slaving over the frying of said traditional latkes, we decided that the oven should be the way we make the shredded potato dish for this holiday from now on. I absolutely love the fried version, slathered in sour cream and applesauce, but I also think that assigning someone to the crappy task of being the flip-master of hot greasy potato pancakes, unable to do anything social because their only activity for the next couple hours can consist of nothing but inhaling smoking grease and burning arm hairs just isn't very holiday nice. OK, in a Jewish guilt, masochisitic way, it's exactly what someone should be doing for a Jewish holiday, but our family is barely Jewish-lite, so really, why bother with the torture? Anyway, the baked version isn't quite the same, but at least I still get to slather accoutrements, so I was satisfied.

Erik and I at my folks house. The menorah is behind the Christmas tree, so that we can really embrace all the gift giving holidays.

Great Aunt Shirley holding Zabri for the first time.

Despite my sarcasm regarding gifts, I really do love the holidays. I honestly get frustrated that we don't have more money to buy more stuff for our loved ones or more money to go towards materials for me to make things for them. Not to say that's what the holidays are about, but I enjoy giving gifts, even if it makes me crazy sometimes. I love seeing the decorations and the beautiful wrapping, the thought and love that goes into finding a gift for a person. I know that the recipient doesn't always respond the way we hope, but I enjoy taking the risk none the less.

In our family, the holidays are really about family and gluttony, but this year is the start of something new, the start of grandkids. This year the attention will all be on Zabri and his cuteness, next year the attention will be on us trying to keep the little ones from trying to pull the tree down. For now, I am savoring the luxury of sleep and the ability to shop when I want to, next year will be a whole 'nother beastie!

By the time I post again, it will probably be in the new year. I hope to have some good stories to share, or at least some witty commentary, and a nice selection of pictures. I wish all of you a safe and relaxing holiday week, filled with laughter, joy and love. Let's hope that the New Year brings us all growth and prosperity, love and fulfillment.

Erik and I send our love to all of you!

Happy Holidays,

Camian

2 comments:

OnlyMira said...

So far so good! I finally got to meet my nephew on Friday and I'm totally in love. Look at that face!!! How could I not be?? He is disgustingly cute, CUTE. Cam's adorable belly comes in a close second :)

Happy Holidays! XOXO
Auntie M

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays Camian and Eric! Thanks for the entertaining blog.
I'd love the recipe for your baked latke dish.

p.s.
Aunt Shirley is my role model forever. And I am a jazzercise convert now, all through her wonderful influence!
p.s.s.
Mini kid update: Becca has moved to Israel to live with Philip, her russian/Israeli boyfriend. She finished her M.S. in linguistics at the University of Edinburgh Scotland last year and will be job hunting in Israel /doing research. Alex still lives in New York City enjoying the city life and living with Samantha his girlfriend of two years. He is a data management coordinator at Clinilabs. We are all now on facebook so you can find us there.
Jon, myself and Pepper, our labrador mutt, are holding the fort down in Ann Arbor, singing in Kol Halev choir, cooking a lot, and loving all the fresh snow which makes winter here, much more beautiful for us!

Much Love,
Wendy in snow country Michigan!