I had my baby shower last weekend. Roxana and her beauteous daughters hosted it and it was a lovely event. Most of the women who thought they would make it, did, and we all enjoyed a tasty luncheon, a cozy setting, gorgeous views and good company. I would have been within my rights to demand a variety of embarrassing shower games, but I opted out. Instead, I asked the women to participate by offering me words of wisdom on being a mom, or blessings for what will probably be one of the most life changing things I will ever go through. There were lots of good stories, plenty of laughs and numerous heartfelt wishes extended to me and my growing family, and I felt blessed and content to be surrounded by so much love and so many great women.
Because Erik and I don't have enough on our plate, we've decided that a great thing to do, starting NOW, would be to remodel our master bathroom. That's right, I think that starting a construction project as I enter my last month of pregnancy is the smartest thing I can do. Those of you who know my family, specifically my dad, may be thinking, hmm, this is familiar, a construction project during pregnancy! Well folks, we all know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I am indeed my father's daughter. Despite the fact that most of you are probably shaking your heads, wondering if my hormones have actually poisoned my brain and Erik has lost any sense he may have had, there is actually a good number of reasons behind our insanity, even if our timing is slightly ridiculous.
- Right now, our baby is contained and always conveniently with me, I can't hear him crying, and there are no diapers to change. Also, I am still sleeping whenever I want, even if I'm not terribly comfortable and sometimes feel like a beached whale needing assistance for things like turning over. I know people and can get this done pretty quickly, hopefully, quickly enough to beat my baby's emergence.
- In the next 6 months we will probably have a fairly steady flow of visitors. For those of you who have not visited our house, here's a little background: our house is ginormous, but the brilliant previous owners invested a good chunk of change into what might be the most retarded master bathroom remodel I've ever encountered. Considering what I do for a living, you can imagine that I've seen a good number of bathrooms, and this is honestly the least useful one I've run across. Since we've lived here, it's been used as a sad powder room and that's about it. Things I think are, oh I don't know, handy to have in a master bathroom, are counterspace, storage, a shower, a door (privacy people!) and floors that do well with moisture.... I don't think any of that is unreasonable, yet none of that seemed to be considered important to those people. Due to all those reasons, Erik and I have used the hall bath, which is over 30 feet away as our primary bath. Being that there are only 2 bathrooms upstairs (which is definitely the main living space), when we have people staying here, we all end up sharing the same bathroom, which gets a little tricky. Throw a newborn into the mix and I foresee headaches for everyone.
- I'm having a baby. Yeah, I know, old news, but I'm pushing a little being with a big head out of my body, and I am expecting a bit of residual pain after the "birth experience." The idea that I will have to walk so far away to bathe, bothers me, but not having a functioning tub scares me. One of the "quirks" with the current and only tub in the house is a mold problem in the tubes that connect the jets. Use bleach you say? Been there, done that, it doesn't solve our problem. I also long for a shower that I can actually bend over in, as opposed to the shower in the hall bath that I am pleased to still fit in.
- The reason we didn't do this before was money. That issue has not gone away, but now the looming reality of what is coming up, and how our lives are going to change has finally gotten the best of us. We're a little slow sometimes, but I prefer to think of it as methodical and cautious. We have come to the conclusion that, there are always going to be other ways we can spend our money, but this may actually save us some sanity.
- Our final conclusion after much debate over a number of months is fuck it, let's just get this over with!
Things to find in your picture search:
- All water resistant floors
- Privacy (hint: see the half wall and lack of door which makes the bathroom open to the rest of the wing and house, unless you close 3 doors, one of which is glass. Also note the super-sized mirror which is kind of disturbing while you are using the facilities)
- Counterspace
- Shower
- Convenient storage, storage that might actually hide our bathroom products
- A tub that isn't so big that it drains our hot water heater and still isn't full or warm for that matter
- Easy to clean or maintain finishes
- Any of the above
- Quality construction or planning. You can't see the details in the pictures, but I am quick to point out the numerous flaws if anyone ever comes over and I'm in a mood to share.
The Master Bath
From the hallway, nursery bedroom to the right, Master Bedroom to the left

I hope you've enjoyed the tour of our bathroom, and I look forward to updating you on our pending remodel and looming deadline.
Links for the week are places where I will be spending lots of time and money (gotta love 12 months no interest no payments deals!):
http://www.homedepot.com/
http://www.lowes.com

No comments:
Post a Comment